PEFE Court, 12. September

-Crow gets blipped into the courtroom suddenly-

Murcrow: <Oh, hey, what's going on? Where is this?>

"Welcome. Do you have some... b u s i n e s s?"

"Halt dein Höllesobst mir fern, Versucher." ~ jedesdummisel

Re: Herbert40k's Wrap-Up Thread

Courtroom, 2014-09-12

Phoenix: <These guys are on trial! For... what that old guy said.>

<I'm Phoenix Flight, a defense attorney. I'm defending them, because that's what I do. My job would be a lot easier if they pled innocent, though.> -v-;

[spoiler]Phoenix is available for control by anybody who has played an Ace Attorney game.

Sanity is precious; use it sparingly.

1,203 (edited by Herbert40k 2014-09-13 23:58:35)

PEFE Inquisitorial Court - 12/9/14

-Lawrence turns to answer Crow.-

Lawrence: We are currently in the PEFE Inquisitorial Court, standing trial. I trust I don't need to tell you what we are accused of.

-He looks back at Phoenix.-

Lawrence: I will not plead innocence when doing so would be a gross mistruth, especially considering that I am under oath. Should this court find me innocent of my crimes I will weep for the death of justice in this world. Even so, I would rather not entrust my defence to a Pokemon.

Lucius: ...Can I please have an actual attorney? One with a law degree and everything? I know my rights: I'm entitled to one. Or at least, I would be entitled to one in an unbiased court not run by data entry clerks and murderers.

1,204 (edited by Morpheus 2014-09-14 00:12:31)

Matthew starts typing away at his machine before curtly replying to Lucius' statement.

Matthew: There is no rule in the PEFE private law protocol stating that the lawyer in question cannot be a Pokemon. As such, I can assure you Mr. Flight is licensed and qualified to be your lawyer. Please Understand.

"Oh Bassy, I do love red the most. Hair, clothes, lipstick, I love them to be red. The more flamboyant a woman is, the more she's as beautiful as a poisonous flower, right?"

Courtroom, 2014-09-12

Polly: The defendant is reminded that they are free to summon any attorneys or witnesses that they feel may help their case.

Evangeline: <Typical professional lawyers may not the most familiar with this court's philosophy, though.>

???: Since you're so keen on actual unbiased attorney...

-In a blip Jacob and Regina appear-

Jacob: Perhaps I can lend some assistance. At least on this side.

1,207 (edited by Herbert40k 2014-09-14 00:27:39)

-Lucius rolls his eyes at Matthew, Polly, and Evangeline.-

Lucius: Oh great, so this place runs on sitcom logic on top of everything else? Look, I've already established that I refuse to recognise the authority of this court when it's so blatantly corrupt. If I mentioned that I once applied for PEFE membership, would that clear me of all charges? I mean, when you're a researcher you're allowed to make snuff films with no legal repercussions, so a job application should get me off something like theft. Is there even any point to bringing in witnesses when I'm already pleading guilty and fully intend to be-

-He blinks upon seeing Jacob enter the courtroom.-

Lucius: ...Oh come on. Is there anybody else we'd like to bring into this Kangaskhan court to testify against me? My own mother, perhaps? Or how about that Cipher Admin you guys used to have on your payroll?

Jacob: -Shrugs- Hey. I'm a legal licensed Prosecutor. You don't get much more genuine than me. I have the badge and the papers and everything.

Courtroom, 2014-09-12

Polly: We have a prosecutor?

Gavel: BANG!

Polly: Well, if you insist...

Prosecutor, any opening statements before the defendants make their assertions?

Courtroom, 2014-09-12

-Ren, Kitsune, Rio, end Keys are in the gallery.-

Ren: Tell me why I'm here again?

Keys: <Because I wanted to supply the canned murmurs.>

We shall defeat legions of Cipher Peons... by performing an elaborate musical number!

Jacob: -Arms folded, his head slightly bowed and eyes closed-

Yes. Our aim today is not blind retribution, but justice delivered by an honest hand. And for that we need the truth. But it will be the truth of the crimes both these men are indeed guilty of.

-He opens his eyes and raises his head-

Jacob: We all know the crimes you are accused of, so there is no need to review them at this point. The defendants may begin.

1,212 (edited by Morpheus 2014-09-14 00:42:51)

Matthew: If you wish to lodge a complaint, head down to the 7th floor. Your complaint will be filed and then promptly burned for fuel, as your opinions are important to us.

~*SHING*~

Matthew pushes the carriage back into place

"Oh Bassy, I do love red the most. Hair, clothes, lipstick, I love them to be red. The more flamboyant a woman is, the more she's as beautiful as a poisonous flower, right?"

1,213 (edited by BittersweetNSour 2014-09-14 00:43:01)

PEFE Inquisitorial Court -- 2014-09-12

-Sarah is here, but doing her best to stay unnoticed.-

[Spectrum was here!]

1,214 (edited by Herbert40k 2014-09-14 01:21:15)

-Lucius sighs, and bows his head.-

Lucius: ...Guilty as charged on all counts. Look, there's a lot of stuff that I could say in my defence. That I first put on the mask with the intention of helping people, that I stole only to try and fight a greater evil, that I helped to put dozens of criminals behind bars... but none of that matters. Whatever I was then, I'm a criminal now. I broke the law, and I did it for my own selfish reasons. I'll return what I stole, hand over all the gadgets I developed to the PEFE, give up vigilantism for good... no matter what the verdict is, I have to do something to try and make up for my mistakes. I don't care what you do to me. Either give me a chance to try and repair whatever damage I inflicted, or do the responsible thing and lock me up for the good of society. It might not be justice, but it's what I deserve.

-Lawrence listens to his son's testimony with a pained expression, then stands up, clearing his throat.-

Lawrence: I have no interest in pleading for my life or attempting to justify my actions. The severity of my crimes is matched only by the inadequacy of words to atone for them. All I ask is that you give my son another chance. He still has a life to live. I do not. Whatever chance I may have had to make a positive contribution to the world, I squandered it in my futile attempts to chase an impossible dream. Any attempts to repent on my part would be draining mere drops from the sea of my sins, but they are my sins, not my son's. He has suffered greatly due to my failures as a father, and whilst he undoubtedly requires discipline it should be remembered that any guilt you wish to assign to him can easily be traced back to my own crimes. Please, reflect this accordingly in your sentences. Thank you.

-He sits back down. Lucius, listening intently the entire time, starts to look rather conflicted.-

1,215 (edited by CorvusAtrox 2014-09-14 01:14:00)

Murcrow: -to Lawrence- <Ah, alright...>

-to Lucius- <Bert, your anger isn't doing anything for you and if you're still displeased with the verdict they give out, you can get it tried somewhere else, so can't you just bear it and try to be nice?>

Phoenix: <As a lawyer, I trust my clients. ...Even if this is the first time they haven't really trusted me.>

-He slams the desk with his wings-

<And we'll uncover the truth...>

-points a wing accusingly-

<That my clients are GUIL->

<...>

-gives a sheepish look-

<Well, the truth.>

-From the Gallery Keys plays some canned murmurs.-

We shall defeat legions of Cipher Peons... by performing an elaborate musical number!

PEFE Inquisitorial Court - 2014-09-12

-Jacob shakes his head then does his own one handed desk slam-

Jacob: Mr. Flight, I assure you that while I know full well how useful birds can be to the legal process, I sincerely hope for your client's sake, you think a little more before chirping.

-He removes his hand from the desk-

Jacob: Moving on, now that we've heard what the defendants want to happen, that we analyze what happened.

-Jacob winds back and points at the Avian Attorney with an overhead arm swing-

Jacob: Thus we move on to Lucius Cain's crimes. First and foremost the raiding of PEFE property. The Prosecution has no witnesses, and will call the defendant to the stand to testify unless the Defense has someone they'd rather speak first.

Phoenix: Hm...

<The defense has no objections.>

-Lucius shakes his head.-

Lucius: Even if there were people willing to speak out in defence of what I did, they can't give anything more than a second-hand account...

-He stands up and makes his way to the stand, his eyes firmly glued to his feet as he speaks.-

Lucius: There... really isn't a lot to say that the after-action reports don't already cover. Whilst I was in costume, I was approached by a pair of shifty-looking characters in Lunatone and Solrock masks who asked for my help stealing - or "liberating", as they called it - an artefact called the Gaim Rahm from the PEFE institute in Summerland. In return, they offered me assistance against Neo-Galactic and information about PEFE prototypes I might also be interested in... acquiring. So I accepted. On the 27th of August, in what may be one of my dumbest decisions to date, I broke into the Summerland facility and stole the Gaim Rahm. I also took an Aura Jammer Canceller that was in development, knocked out a couple of personnel, and uploaded a relatively minor virus to their computer systems. Looking back on it now, those last two were kind of pointlessly petty. Anyway, I got out before the alarm was raised, but the deal... let's just say it went sour. I still have the Gaim Rahm in my possession, if you want me to give it back. Which I'm assuming you do, otherwise I wouldn't be here in the first place.

PEFE Inquisitorial Court - 2014-09-12

Jacob: -Looking down at a piece of paper while he drums his fingers on his desk- In short your testimony matches the report given. On August 27th the Auric Avenger was caught on-camera breaking into the lowest levels of the Summerland Experimental Technology Institute, stealing an ancient artifact of unknown classification. Your retinal scans were used to gain access to a room one level up at the time of the incident. Thus we can safely take this confession and use it to prove both all your vigilante activities and this crime. Not that we needed that though. The Avenger was a male Auric with a clear vendetta against Neo-Galactic who ran around wearing armored pajamas. Give me three other people it could have been.

Ren -mumbling we're peoplemon near him can hear him if they so wish- Tagg, Vierr, and Duke. All three have auric capabilities and identical resources as Lucius.

Courtroom, 2014-09-12

Evangeline: o_o!

Polly: o_o!

The... Gaim Rahm?

Evangeline: <W-where is it?>

Polly: -with a hair of hesitation, collects herself-

*ahem* The cross-examination of Lucius by the defense and Lawrence may begin.

1,223 (edited by memyselfandI 2014-09-14 02:49:34)

Courtroom, September 12, 2014

-a gray-clad girl is watching the trial curiously, a small tower of Dunsparce perched next to her and a Sigilyph at her side-

PEFE!Every: You're the one who's into trials, Xeno. I hope you're enjoying yourself.

Xeno: Naturally.

Phoenix: <Certainly, Your Honor.>

<First... What do you mean by costume?>

1,225 (edited by Herbert40k 2014-09-14 16:05:04)

-Lucius frowns, but decides to focus on Phoenix's question rather than Jacob's rhetorical ribbing.-

Lucius: My superhero costume, of course. You know, that thing that all superheroes are supposed to wear? You've probably already seen it if you've paid any attention at all to the news over the last month or so. I put it together myself. It's quite a nice piece of handiwork, if I may say so.

-He shoots a sideways glance at Ren as he says this, as if imploring him not to object.-

Lucius: As for the location of the Gaim Rahm, it's, uh... still in my bag. I think. I didn't know what to do with it, so ever since the break-in I've been using it as a sort of high-class paperweight. Um... hopefully admitting that doesn't hurt my case.