Re: Silentposts [currently: the Wedding 2020]

Sootopolis Gym

-Aiki does indeed look and notes the Kingdra hanging on to the edge-

Aiki: "...Well, they're persistent."

"Can you get them off the edge still, Mandrake."

Mandrake: <Oh, I've got just the snare for this.>

-Mandrake gets closer to where he can see the Kingdra, then summons a Grass Knot on the platform's underside near the spot where she's frozen to the platform-

-The knot's vines attempt to grab and pull at the Kingdra's lower half, attempting to free her from her snout's ice prison, but slam her into the platform's underside before releasing her-

"Welcome. Do you have some... b u s i n e s s?"

"Halt dein Höllesobst mir fern, Versucher." ~ jedesdummisel

Sootopolis Gym, Ago

-The Kingdra can be seen squirming for a while, trying to release herself from the vines, but that amounts to nothing, and a moment later a thud is heard-

"Juan": "....Oh."

-In effect, the Kingdra then floats to the surface of the water, tired and agitated; she stares at Mandrake largely, but bothers not to summon any of her power and instead turns to the Samurott for instructions-

"Juan" -does a sort of shrug: "Well, that is a ring out." -- beckons graciously -- "Why don't you be a dear and return my saber while you go back to rest?"

-The Kingdra visibly huffs, then slids to the ice platform to give Mandrake and Aiki a curt bow before swinning into the pool-

"Juan" -to Aiki: "That was a well motivated slam to paint the last stroke in this battle. In this performance you have demonstrated to be very well the victor."

-And performs a reverential bow, then motioning for the Charizard to come to the other end of the stage-

Thou hast forgotten the face of thy Lord. Remember, mortal, and fear pet me.

Sootopolis Gym

Mandrake: <Yes, victory!>

Aiki: -to 'Juan'- "Uh, thanks."

-He gives a bit of a bow himself, then he and Mandrake head over to where the Samurott is, trying to be careful not to slip on the ice-

Hoenn, Now-ish

-Silent and his team get the text that Every sent on how is about to face the Hoenn E4. By sheer virtue of IRP convenience they just happen to be nearby-

"I hope he does all right. Can't remember when was the last time I saw one of the guys go at an E4."

Algira: <Hm.....> -- spins clockwise.

Sol: <That was...> -- thinks longly about the issue.

-The two Pokémon stare at each other, then back at Silent-

"...Thought so. Well, let's hurry."

Algira: <Oh? We are going to watch?>

"That's the idea. If we are any lucky we can get in just in time to watch the fight against Sydney!"

-Sol is to hopeful to notice that battle is long past tho. And the rest of the team follow along eagerly-

Ever Grande

-Silent arrives to the place where the Challenge is conducted, accompanied by the Nido on a hat, and Sol and Algira who follow behind, the Espeon complaining about battles she didn't get to watch-

Sol♀: <...can't really believe we missed Sidney. I find myself at a... lack of adjectives to describe that battle.>

-Silent meanwhile notices Basket in the lobby and pokes Maekrite-

"Oh Maekrite look, your other other other 'totally not a mate'. Let's go say hi."

-The Nidorino huffs at Silent then drapes himself on the trainer's shoulder. As the two of them go greet Basket, Sol focuses on the battle going on-

Sol♀ -happily: <Go cats!>

Ever Grande

-Silent and Maekrite sit by Basket-

"I trust that Ever should be able to get past this." -- sage nods.

-Maekrite flicks his ears around-

Maekrite♂: <Where is Tangent and the others...? Are you alone by yourself?>

-Silent crosses his arms-

"Hmmm that reminds me Tagg said something about a PEFE Meeting..."

-The two observe then Ever get past Phoebe-

"Yeah! That's how it's done."

Maekrite♂ -frowns: <And what was all that trash talk about the be end of all things anyway?>

Sol♀ -licks herself: <Nothing much at all. Sounds like generic villainy to me.>

Ever Grande

-Sol waves a flag that goes "go Ever!" as she and the others watch now how the battle goes all the way up to Drake-

"You know, I still remember the other Drake far more fondly."

Sol♀ -stretches at the Song: <To be fair, we actually fought that one.>

Maekrite♂: <Which reminds me.> -- kicks on Silent's shoulder -- <Fights when?>

-Algira and Sol also stare at Silent waiting for an answer-

"Oh look awesome battles! GO EVEEEER!"

Ever Grande

-Silent and team are observing the sudden new developments in the situation that was supposed to be a legal confrontation between Ever and Steven-

Algira♀ -flutters around: <When are we getting in? We have to help!>

"Algira calm down. I'm sure there's a completely rational explanation of why this is going on the way it is and why we are not chiming in on the matter."

Maekrite♂: <You mean, like,> -- points to the room -- <we are being held off by a random lady going on about Badges?>

"...League statuses are hard like that, yes."

-Sol meanwhile munches on some food-

Maekrite♂: <Well, not like we could be of much help as of now.> -- sighs.

Sol♀: <Yeah, this is part on the course. Don't worry and enjoy the show!> -- gulps down more food.

Ever Grande

-Maekrite, upon seeing the nyooooom of doom, starts Honing his Claws on Silent's shoulder-

Maekrite♂: <They left the room! Now we can chime in!>

-Silent decides to not argue the point -Ever has been made to leave the League premises after all- and chases after Ever and Muninn, with Algira and Sol following behind-

Sootopolis Gym, ago-ish

(following this post by Krow)

-As Aiki reaches to the platform where the Samurott is, the Pokémon steps away from it, and from the room past the Gym battlefield, a man dressed in well-adorned outfit comes out. Hand behind his back and a laid-back posture, he walks up to the Gym Leader platform-

Real Juan: "Now that would be all, Casados. Your lip syncing has improved significantly." -- points to the platform -- "Would you fetch the badge for me?"

-The Samurott nods and turns to Aiki, barks happily and then slides away to leap down to the pool-

Real Juan -to Aiki, eyeing what he likely assumes to be a costume: "You have showed us a very good performance, and were not afraid to risk your position and experiment when it came down to it. Your skills and presentation shine well, even if they still seem to need some polish."

Sootopolis Gym

Aiki: "Uh, thanks. Hopefully it'll get better over time."

"Uh, though this was pretty interesting, I've never seen a battle done like this before."

Sootopolis Gym

Real Juan -looks somewhat hesitant: "Well, while I have tried to be as original as possible for these sessions, they haven't seemed to catch on yet. You are the second or third challenger today who comes in in style."

-The Samurott meanwhile can be seen wading around the pool, and seems to be arguing indistinctly with some of the Pokémon swimming in there-

Real Juan: "You have accomplished a notable feat here, which makes you worthy of the [Rain Badge]. It is very revered in these seas, and it should guarantee you permission for free-range using Waterfall to move around, should you ever need it."

-At that moment Casados the Samurott leaps from the pool to the platform, he has recovered his nacar sword he had used to summon Kingdra, and is now carrying a small metallic box adorned with light-colored denim and silk stripes giving the appearance of a veil of rain-

Real Juan: "Ah, here it is..."

-The Samurott then presents Aiki with the box, which when opened would reveal the Rain Badge-

Sootopolis Gym

Aiki: "Hm, well, that's a bit of a shame."

-He receives the box from Casados-

"And well, this is certainly pretty."

-He stores the box in his coat pocket-

Sootopolis Gym

-Juan nods and then produces, from out of nowhere -or rather, from the sleeves of his jacket, though the move might just be fast enough that Aiki barely manages to see it- a small box. Larger and thinner than the one with the Badge, it is not much adorned though it has a small ornament in the form of a golden needle to the side, anchored to a curved wood protrusion, as if trying to mimick an old vinyl disc player-

Real Juan: "And, since you have performed so well... I have to say, you deserve this. It's not the usual treat challengers get from clearing this Gym's battle, though, but something special for the occasion."

-He proceeds to present the box to Aiki and opens it, revealing a small disc with a couple of booklets inside-

Real Juan: "This is [Water Pulse], an advanced Water-type move that allows your Pokémon to draw in water, be it theirs or from the environment, and concentrate it in a small maelstrom bubble that will allow you to confuse your opponents. Like I mentioned, it is a special challenge, so this disc is not limited to the [one-time use] restrain on League-provided TMs."

Sootopolis Gym

-The movement is indeed too fast for Gogie and he blinks-

Aiki: "Huh, thanks. That should be helpful."

-He receives the box from Juan-

Steven Stone's House, uncertain point in time but definitely before the Delta Episode

-Steven is polishing a newly-acquired Sceptilite, and may be visited by a certain Nido researcher.-

My girlfriend is a Volcarona, your argument is invalid.

Steven's House, at a floating point in time before the Delta Episode

-After travelling offscreen for a while doin' stuff, Silent arrives at Steven's House. He's dressed in black trousers, a sleeveless shirt and the Nidoking-themed coat Ren gave to him. A modified PokéGear is visible attached to his belt and careful observers might notice the device has plugged in a modified card reader with a copper-colored slot, which matches a thick [copper-colored armlet] in Silent's right arm.

Maekrite is, of course, sprawled all over his Trainer's head, though he seems to be regretting the idea as with the strong sunlight he is sweating more poison that he should, even on a head of a person who has developed partial immunity to such things. Sol is also wandering about, and a certain trio of birds is a bit further behind, perched on a lamppost.

"Okay, Maekrite? I know you want to be ready for everything but… Just in case, we're here for another matter this time. If the evolution thing comes up, we'll see what do we need to get some information out of Steven."

Maekrite -sighs: <...Hopefully not a match. I'm not back at this level of challenge yet.>

As Silent approaches to knock on the door, he thinks of Maekrite and Sol being not really up there for fights for the time being and makes a point to go challenge random gyms in the next region the group decides to travel to. Didn't do any wrong in Kalos, after all.-

-He knocks on the door twice, then notices Sol is sniffing the ground and pawing at it-

"Something the matter?" - he says with a frown.

Sol♀ -looks around: <...I thought there was [something] invisible blocking this door.> -- continues to aw at the ground idly.

Steven's House

-Steven flinches as the door is knocked-

Steven: Whoever that is... You don't happen to be a guy that looks like a used car salesman and his baby Treecko, correct?

Steven's House

Maekrite: <...Hey! Why don't we have a Treecko friend?> -- paws at Silent's head.

-Silent walks in (hey, this is Pokémon, doors are but a courtesy :p) and stays by the door, introduces himself; Sol for some reason stays outside-

"Reasons". -- pats the Nido, answers -- "No, I'm... Dr. Silent, actually from PEFE. Though I do have a story or two to sell to you."

-Silent then shows his card plus a picture of a certain [Lileep] trying to snipe a Feebas at one of the PEFE habitats. As he extends his arm, careful interlocutors might notice a bangle with a carved logo not too much different from that of Mega evolution-

re: Fluff vs Crunch

I firmly stand by the side of False Dichotomies are Harmful. :p

That said, re Umbra's proposal:

My first thought is that while it does work quite better (I'd say about 300% better) here to have an in-universe kind of essay than in the case of the Tone Essay wholesale (plus, putting it in-universe in this case helps showcase the issue), I'm still wondering if there's any strong reason behind why they would have to be that way.

I see the whole idea that we don't use the same definition of Crunch v Fluff as other communities to gets a nod, though I think the essay whole would benefit if that nod is made a bit more clear.  Something as simple that sends the message of "we're not even like other RPs around here", perhaps.

On the various little subjects that the example throws in, I'd say the proposal pretty much nails the point (props to Tangent on the definitions given, hopefully the D!post where they were given can be sourced / linked to?). The "two" characters examples, while more extreme than needed to make their points, work well so far.

-Sends out a team of six mons that are high on the tier lists as of point of reading-

...What? Not six Mega Rayyyyyys? :p

I also believe re the writing of the proposal as it stands, there should be more characters, or at least if it has to be in-universe it should not be a one-player thing, let alone a repeat. I feel it paints the wrong image. But that can be fixed later.

Finally, while it is also not something that needs to be fixed Rai Nao™ I do feel like the Fluff part noticeably lacks some show-don't-tell, since basically it's thrown as a list of traits without explaining any narrative effect or letting them build a sort of narrative effect during the example. (Plus, it needs to be also mentioned that, unlike with Crunch in most scenarios, in order to build up "deep fluff" for a character, players would hopefully request assistance or checks so that they don't conflict with established RP history; this has been very relevant in Signups for example, in the least because of nonrealistic character ages)

And I'm guessing that would be all for now.

(Wrong thread, Silent. :P)

Steven's House

-Steven sighs in relief-

Steven: Oh, good, you're from PEFE, much more trustworthy... Dr. Silent? I think I've heard of you before...

-Shakes his hand, then notices the bangle-

Is that...

Steven's House

-Silent raises an eyebrow at the "more trustworthy" part, does not pay attention to Sol still "stuck" pawing at the ground in front of the house-

"Ah, this, " -points ot bangle- ", let's call it being prepared. There might be a Mega Evolution or two I am keeping an eye for, and even if it ends up not being a thing, let's say the mechanism of Mega Evolution itself might be of interest. Which... is the second reason that brings me to you, the first being pic related."

-Moves in and starts examining the various rocks displayed in the house-

"Since you are one of the people most deeply involved in the mysteries of Mega Evolution, I take it you have heard of some particular [news] regarding the sudden presence, or should I say absence, of Key Stones." -- shrugs -- "Not much to do with my end of things I hope."

1,223 (edited by Umbramatic 2015-12-01 00:11:47)

Near Silent

Steven: Ah, you're looking for information on Mega Evolution; in particular I'm wondering why it's the resonance of two different stones that triggers it, so I could help you with the mechanics...

-he frowns at the last bit-

So you've heard too...

-sighs and places a hand on his forehead-

I've been admittedly on edge due to that and a League challenger who secretly had a Latios that tagged along and tried to kill both of us, which led to...

-shudder, thinking-

She wants my ass...

...Never mind. I'm just worried an asteroid's going to be discovered heading for the planet.

Somewhere else later, at the very beginning of the Delta Episode

-Steven is casually chatting with Wallace when his phone rings-

Steven: ...Hold on a sec.

-answers-

Hello? Oh, hey Dad. What is it?

-His face promptly becomes much more shocked-

A what? Heading straight for us?

-His face then grows stern-

Contact the J-Team... Got it. Doing so right now.

-hangs up-

Sorry, Wallace, something extremely urgent's come up, and I'll tell you after I get in touch with someone... But one thing first?

Wallace: -blinks-

...Yes?

Steven: ...Slap me as hard as you can for tempting fate in the worst way possible.

Wallace: -hesitates a bit before giving Steven the biggest bitchslap he can muster-

Steven: -recoils, then rubs the side of his face- Thank you. Now I have to go, sorry.

-He dashes off as Wallace stares in utter confusion-

Further in the past, back with Silent

Steven: But continue?

A lot of time in the past, or something

-Silent frowns at the weird instance of Steven shuddering, but after a moment shrugs it off-

"An asteroid? Really? Is it even.. large? Fast?" -- takes a hand to his chin -- "Come to think of it, nevermind. I should first be asking how do you even know something like this..."

-Walks around observing the rocks-

"But I have the feeling I would barely care about the answer. If something comes up and it's important enough, I guess some J-Team phones will start ringing soon."

-turns back to Steven-

"So to the business that brings me here, yes... I've been trying to research the relationship between the various kinds of stones and in particular why they seem to exist only for certain Pokémon, so far. But most importantly," -- points to the Nido on head -- "I've been working and trying to replicate the transmission of energy. It is clear that somehow the presence of the Trainer facilitates the energy link exponentially, but it's not clear if it can be supplemented somehow. And... well..."

-struggle with putting the next part of his proposition into words-

"I wonder if you have noticed any similarities between Mega Evolution and Shadowification, if you have the infortune of any experience with the subject?"

Battle Frontier, some dock somewhere

(yes, I'm back into writing! For the RP, I mean)

As Ever is still sleeping, a totally not random and not physically solid Starly flies closer, wanders around for a moment, then lands.

Notification Shahinne #4337 -puffs chest as she hops around Ever: <...Ahem... Hi! I'm a Notification Shahinne!> ^.^

(response: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?di … 20#480497)