Topic: PMD Returns: stories of PMD-A and PMD-B

(Here will be my PMD Returns Arc posts so that things are well sorted. At the same time, this thread is open to interaction and hopefully PMD interaction related to my plotlines will eventually be moved or archived here)

––––

Ruins of Alph, PMD-B

Near where the Ampharos is, two Linoone are walking around looking for some Pokémon. One of them walks into one of the caves conditioned as a store, while the other lies on the ground to rest, listening to the Ampharos. The Linoone is seen holding a small stash that seems to be filled with items.

Linoone -eyes Lake: <Hmmm... if I could get a hold of that scarf...>

Meanwhile, a sole Espeon is sitting near the road. He does not do anything, just randomly stare at stuff.

Thou hast forgotten the face of thy Lord. Remember, mortal, and fear pet me.

Re: PMD Returns: stories of PMD-A and PMD-B

(After this post)

PMB-B

The Linoone snickers as he listens to Lake, it's pretty obvious he is not from around there.

He walks around "aimlessly" and by a convenience of plot ends up resting just some short distance behind Lake.

(After this post)

The Linoone thinks for a moment as he notices the Feraligator focused on the subject of the Mareep. He sniffs the scarf for a moment, noticing it is of very valuable silk of a mon uncommon in the region. He ponders for a moment.

Linoone: «Hmmm, perhaps I could actually do it without risk and try to just trade for something the old fashioned way... I guess he knows he won't be needing that scarf around here...» -- starts examining his stash looking for items.

Meanwhile the Espeon stares at the group intently for a moment, tail twirling. He decides to try reading their fates for fun.

(In response to this)

The Linoone stands up and shows his stash.

Linoone: <Hello mister Feraligator from afar, and your friend...> -- bows to Skye -- <I'm a scaven-wait... trader from the northeast lands and your [scarf] caught my attention. Looks really nice, not silk from a mon you see around here...> -- tries to touch it, turns to the Shepard -- <Am just wondering if he is interested in doing business, shepard~>

(In response to this)

The Linoone shrugged and started looking in his stash more frantically.

Linoone: <Oh I'm sure we can agree to a fair price... or else... Just... lemme... look if I can find...> -- digs further, keeping an eye on the conversation in the meantime -- <Look, I.... er, go to a lot of places :| and have lots of stuff... not only "supplies", you know...>

The other Linoone exits the cave store and starts watching at his friend and then at the Skarmory-Feraligator duo quizzically.

(Response to...)

Linoone: <Come on, I know I can find something good somewhere...>

The Linoone has produced already a pile of small objects including a watermelon, something that resembles a D battery, an attachable Razor Fang, two Energy Roots, a bottle of [dust] labelled with monese symbols, a Pearl, a foldable chair from human times, a Purrloin plush, and a weird [cape]. Also, a small [rotating object] can be seen in his stash for a moment before he closes it.

Linoone: <Uhm... if you think there is anything here that you might want... we can surely reach an agreement...> -- turns to Skye -- <Oh, hang on... perhaps this might be of interest to you!>

Holds the weird cape before Skye.

(After this post)

Non-ruins of Alph, PMD-B

The Linoone looks at Skye, is about to say something but suddenly shuts himself up. He produces the [weird cape] and hands it over to Skye for her to try.

Linoone: <We can talk price with your tailed friend here. But this, you will probably want it. It's a "scar-cape" and it absorbs the momentum of blows you receive so you can counterattack at full power. Nifty, eh?>

(In response to this post)

The Linoone smiles and hands over the cape to Skye for her to put it on.

Linoone: <Sure thing, I'll go with a Slash move, my favourite...> -- to Lake -- <You'll see it can perfectly do this. The art and development of energy-negating items has flourished in lands like Hoenn!>

The Pokémon steps back and hunches over, playfully growls, which prompts his other Linoone colleague to facetable. Not paying attention to that, he waits for the signal to leap in for a left side Slash.

(After this post)

The Linoone is knocked bac by the momentum and falls to the ground; with some grumbles about how his work is not easy, he stands up and cleans his fur.

Linoone: <Sorry, 'gator, but for some reason that kind of cape works only of Skarmory. If you want to look for items more suited to your species I'd suggest you check the swamps, or the forest southwest...> -- turns to Skye -- <So... I hope you liked it. Do we have a deal or not? I can cut you a good discount if you trade for the scarf~>

The other Linoone shakes his head.

(In response to this. Also, awwwww)

The two Linoone show a certain degree of aprehension, as well as annoyance, that Skye is rejecting the deal. However, after they exchange looks and the second Linoone shakes his head, the two decide to let the matter go.

Linoone: <Was worth a try. Say, at least you look like you know what you can sell, so...> -- hands out his personal business card, which is just a piece of bark with some monese inscriptions -- <If you ever want to trade, you'll find us roaming the northern area.>

Other Linoone -points to the north and makes a "big" gesture: <Yeah, we roam the routes west from [Her Perch].>

Linoone: <And we are very, very good at picking up [goodies]. Remember that...>

The second Linoone goes to fetch the Scar-Cape. The two then nod a goodbye to Skye and Lake, then eerily leer at the Ampharos before making a somewhat hasty, but still educated, exit.

(After this post)

Unruins of Alph, PMD-B

The Espeon licks his paw and then stares at Skye and Lake again.

Espeon: <...Hello there. I was wondering if I could help you. I can see the past and the future... for a small fee.> -- walks up to the pair and wanders around, greeting the Shepard Ampharos.

(In response to this post)

Espeon -looks at paw absentmindedly: <It depends... on how long have you lived... and how attached have you been to life.> -- narrows eyes as he examines Skye and Lake for a moment -- <Could get an interesting reading out of you two, perhaps...>

(After this post)

Unruins of Alph, PMD-B

The Espeon walks up to Skye and circles around her for a moment, staring intently.

Espeon♂: <Don't worry, I'm not going to ask for your blood or a very important item. In exchange for clearing the fog of your future or your past, I simply request you to share the wisdom earned from the opponents you have faced.> -- sits on the ground and turns to Lake -- <I'm a creature of knowledge, but I also seek the opportunity to do something useful with it. I hope knowing about the various [techniques and strategies] villagers and warriors alike have survived, will help me stand firm when the time finally comes.>

Espeon comments offhandedly to Lake and Skye that if one of them agrees with the deal, he will focus his psychic powers to inspect that one's past and uncover turns of events that the Pokémon might have missed or not paid enough attention back in its time, extrapolating a potential future from there. In exchange, he will scan that mon's memories of battles they have faced, looking for an interesting technique or strategy they have met in combat and then record the events of how the mon countered those strategies; he warns that that part of the mental inspection might be a bit disorientating.

(After this post and the following one)

The Espeon seems to hesitate for a moment.

Espeon♂: <I can not promise not to see your private memories, since I can only watch where your subconscious leads me to.> -- tilts head and looks proudly -- <But I do solemnly promise, as a superior cat, that if you express any sort of discomfort I can pull out, or you can pull me out by force if you want.>

(In response to this post and the next)

Unruins of Alph

The Espeon nods then focuses, making his jewel and eyes glow yellow. He starts scratching the surface of Lake and Skye's mind, so to speak, looking for random interesting stuff that screams BATTLES!!!!

Digging deeper for a moment he picks up a random tendril of thought.

«...Ok, what is going on in here? Thinking about... what... not killing someone because then you get killed in exchange... Well, I guess at least it's fair... let's see....»

The Espeon starts digging for some other nearby tendril of thought he can find, but he soon starts seeing things he doesn't understand, like clear (within the blurriness of watching ephemeral thoughts) images of humans and buildings.

(After this post)

The Espeon picks another tendril of thought where he senses a threat and falsehoods. However, all he sees is a scene of a Honchkrow and a Unfezant riding a Salamence, inside some sort of very well ornamented cave where everything is a mess. The image of humans repeats, this time fainter.

«...Ok, somemon listens to a lot of those epic tales that I've heard the birds say are told beyond the seas. Man, one would thing a monly mon would like to leave his stamp on reality...»

Sends a mental inquiry to Lake wondering if he can try hunting for one or two more memories.

(After this post)

There were images of a grandiose battle against a Charizard; however the Espeon did not think too much of it, 'gators had a natural advantage and he was already used to see a lot of 'dile/Bagon/'mander interaction in the area. However he still got sidetracked by the appearance of more human figures, lots of them, watching the battle, and one particular human figure giving commands for battle.

The Espeon shook his head strongly to try get rid of the sensation.

«Darn it, somemon has to really drop the Lansat juice. That thing is wicked, mon, removes you from reality...»

The Espeon decides to dig further looking around for hints of lethal threat or of novel solutions, and he seems to find two particular thought tendrils. He hesitates about which one to choose...

«Hmmm... the threatening, or the novel?»

(After this post)

«Oh... the novel solution? Sure, why not? Let's check it~»

The Espeon starts unrolling the tendril of memories, amassed like a thread, and mentally examines it. He decides he immediately likes what he sees. There's a Murkrow bird, and another bird, and various Pokémon, without much if any trail of weird human things. But what he likes more is that one of the birds seems to be enclosed in a bubble.

Memory!Lake: <...So I'm afraid you're going to have to be punished...>

The 'gator in the memory blows up a bubble («whoa, I didn't knew Bubble attacks could get that big...») and encases the still free second bird inside, just like the first bird. Then an argument arises while a random Wooper happily hops above one of the bubbles.

Espeon: <I have to say, I like what I see...> -- turns his psychic power "off", leaving Lake's head -- <I'll always remember this for when I need to hunt a bird. That memory was quite interesting... I liked it a lot :3> -- twirls tail.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/139/319073031_a5043c89be.jpg

(After this post)

The Espeon shakes himself a couple of times to get rid of the weird sensations Lake's mind gave him. Then he turns to Skye.

Espeon: <Yes, this is your turn now. However I can sense your memories are, for some reason, somewhat nondescript.> -- sits and starts probing SKye's mind.

«What mysteries lie here? Perhaps you have had a regular life without tribulation, or you have been hidden from your own destiny as has happened to heroes in the past. Or are you in a quest to discover and define yourself?»

(After this post)

The Espeon examines the memory of the battle, at the same time comforted by the effort and the tactic Skye put on it yet dismayed and annoyed that apparently this Pokémon was also suffering from delusions of the times when there were humans around, now mostly lost to myth.

«What, is there a Lansat smuggling ring in the Golrod area or something else I have missed? I mean, it *might* be a good opportunity to prove my worth but come on... those humans feel kinda... I don't know, corny?»

The Espeon keeps exploring Skye's memories looking for something about battles, not noticing much else of what is going on around him in the meantime; he's also almost lost "track" of where Lake was standing next to them.

Meanwhile, out of one of the stands walks a Nidorino holding a small basket of [herbs]; he notices the group and after a moment of hesitation, goes check up.

????: <Morning, shephard...> -- greets the Shepard by raising his right paw -- <What's with the group over there?>

(From...)

The Nidorino simply nods at the brevity of the Ampharos. He tilts his head and sniffs the group from afar, then sits besides the Ampharos.

????: <Say, you think the Mareep down the route could recommend good herbs? Ideally from past the mountain cave to the south...>

(From here)

Espeon -mentally separates himself from Skye: <...Well that last one was pretty interesting. The trickery is a bit convoluted but I'm sure I'll find the opportunity to apply it sometime in my from now on adventurous life~>

The Espeon walks around for a moment, getting himself used back to reality, then sits in front of Lake and Skye.

Espeon: <As for your pasts, as promised, I can try unveiling some things from them, but, I have to warn you; both your minds are weird,> -- makes a paw gesture -- <so if there is a Lansat smuggling ring anywhere in the nearby that is supplying you, I'm not going to stealthily suggest that you could speak about where it is in my presence...>

(After this post)

The Espeon opens his muzzle, is about to say something but then shuts up and looks around, hissing, tail twirling, as he examines past the Nidorino and the Ampharos nearby. He then takes a look at the skies, for the moment clear of birds and or Charizards. Still, that does not seem to give him any comfort.

Espeon: <Well, there's a rumor of mons smuggling highly condensed Lansat out from the [Tropical Kingdom]... but I don't know anything about that.> -- eyes around for a moment -- <So, about your pasts... is there anything particular you want me to look for?>

(Continuing from here)

Espeon: <I see... your family.> -- looks straight at Lake -- <Haven't seen mine for long, I guess I can understand how that feels.>

The Pokémon suddenly pounces on Lake and climbs on him, trying to sit on his shoulder.

Espeon: <Now, as I warned you, this might hurt a little. Not only because of the claws, mind...>

The Pokémon tries to cling to Lake while inspecting his memories from much closer, focused on digging deeper and deeper within the gator's foundational memory of a sequence of events, always in first person. He tries to avoid focusing any on the shallow layers, partly because of the whole thing about not understanding the presence of human image in Lake's mind.

First level he reaches with a certain hint of seclusion is a moment in time when the gator, then a Totodile, is sleeping on a table, the faint presence of a Chikorita and a Cyndaquil nearby. From there, the Espeon starts digging deeper and deeper, focused only on the multiple extents of time and on the idea of a family presence.

(We must go deeper!)

????!Nidorino -to the Shepard Ampharos: <...Are they nuts? What the hraka is that Espeon even doing?>

The faint image of having the two friends, even if with the sensation of one turning enemy, faded away quickly as Espeon dived even further. For a moment it was a boring scent of boring routine, of being examined each and every day by fomr clumsy, distracted human («Again with one of those? What the heck is going on? Where has this gator even BEEN???») but they also fade away quickly when suddenly the sensation of being among others of his own kind emerges.

This might be it. There were other Totodiles around, as indicated by the recurrent pain of bites and the bickering as the past Lake was learning how to play and how to fight. It was at this point that the Espeon, noticing the veil of the memory was getting much thicker, pushed the figurative brake of his descent - hoping not to cause the 'gator anything more than the usual "dryness in eye" sensation this mental move usually triggered - and started focusing on Lake's senses, trying to get in tune with them to better filter the almost forgotten sensations from the past.

He started with touch, so as to be able to better filter out the pain from the bites, and also to be able to discern in what kind of terrain were they located in this memory. But when this proved mostly ineffective, the Espeon switched to smell, trying to find anything that could surpass the strong scent of a "mother" and reveal the environment they were in.